Saturday, June 19, 2010

Journey to Sunshine Family Yoga©


Osiyo! (hello in Cherokee). My name is Sheryl Haynes. I began practicing yoga several years ago, to heal my physical body from issues associated with brain and spinal injuries. I quickly learned that the simple healthful act of coming together in yoga practice would not only promote my physical health, but also my emotional well-being (mind, body, and spirit).







As a Native American child, I was raised to value all and to understand that each and every one of us are blessed with gifts. These core beliefs also lend to giving thanks for each and every day, caring for all that share Mother Earth, serving Elders, nurturing and learning from the sweet tender spirit of children, and promoting the health of our community. Within this Native belief system, I also understand that I do not choose my path. My path is chosen for me, and it is my responsibility to listen with an open heart!

Since 1990, I have partnered with childbearing families in many nurturing roles; founder and lead teacher for A Labor of Love, Inc., prenatal and childbirth educator, Doula, Parent Educator with Parents as Teachers, and yoga facilitator. I have received “specialty training” to offer yoga for pregnant and early childhood families, and am able to adapt yoga play for special needs children. In December of 2007, I trained with Helen Garabedian to become the first certified Baby & Tot Itsy Bitsy Yoga facilitator in the state of Kansas. I was so exited about the nutritious physical and emotional benefits of Itsy Bitsy Yoga that I could hardly wait to get back to Wichita and begin sharing with families! In 2008, I drew upon my early childhood background and love for music play to create and offer Little Lotus Yoga, and began marketing under Sunshine Family Yoga. I began teaching Nurturing Prenatal Yoga later that year. In 2009, I completed a prenatal/postnatal training (picture inserted) and certification with OmMama to offer prenatal yoga for all trimesters and Mamaste Postnatal Yoga. I created, and began offering FREE Stroller Yoga in June 2010.

Life has led me down several paths, each with its’ own blessings and hardships. I am blessed by many moons on Mother Earth, the love and support of my family, my renewed health and spirit, and the opportunity to share yoga with many pregnant and parenting families. Sunshine Family Yoga bears my Native American “gifted” name. When I am doing Sun Salutations, I often sing (to myself or aloud) the song that my mom sang to me as a child. You Are My Sunshine always warms my body and my heart!

Please accept my heartfelt invitation to begin your family yoga journey with me!

No comments:

Post a Comment