Saturday, June 19, 2010

Birth of Stroller Yoga©




Let me tell you a little bit about how Stroller Yoga was born....


My husband and I took a trip to Arizona in May. Sedona offers hiking and yoga tours around the vortexes (spiritual locations). We did not pay for any of these, but was able to experience some of what hiking and yoga had to offer on our own. Well, I did the yoga part. My husband made the comment that maybe I could do yoga and Wichita vortexes.

This silly little thought stayed with me…….One night I sprung out of my bed and straight down to my faithful search engine. “Stroller Yoga”, I wonder if anybody thought of doing stroller yoga?! I found only two places offering Stroller Yoga. None in Kansas.

Now Wichita is no Sedona, but we do have some nice areas to enjoy nature and walk around. I could certainly combine the early childhood yoga that I teach, with moms and babes in strollers, meet in community parks, etc. I was soooo excited, I thought I would never go to sleep. I had visions of stroller asanas (poses), and songs in my mind.

The next day, I connected with a couple of the core Sunshine Family Yoga moms to get their opinion. What I heard from them even inspired me more. “Stroller Yoga here I come!!!!” I put an invitation out on Facebook. Within a few minutes I had acknowledged participants.

At the time of this blog...Stroller Yoga has been offered four times, meeting at different locations, and exploring what Wichita has to offer. No special stroller required, just parents and babes, walking shoes, water, yoga mat or blanket, and a open heart.

Sunshine Family Yoga is my vision. I have volunteered teaching yoga for about three years now. I am in between teaching locations, and going a bit stir crazy not teaching. So what does an early childhood yoga instructor do if she does not have a yoga studio to teach at??????? You guessed it!!!! She does stroller yoga! I love doing yoga in the park!

No comments:

Post a Comment